Quote

"It is the sweet, simple things of life which are the real ones after all." -Laura Ingalls Wilder

Wednesday, December 7, 2011

The Inevitable Christmastime Crunch

First of all, I would just like to say a big THANK YOU to the state of Maine for being 50 degrees in the month of December. It's making climate adjustment so much easier. Yet, we had snow in October? New England makes no sense (but we love it anyway).

So I've got 17 days until Christmas and way too much stuff to do. How about you guys? Three Christmas parties to cook something for, lots of presents to make or buy (and relatively no money to do so). I'm also finding it really hard to just buy things for people. I look at things and they are just so wasteful and such throwaway gifts. I wanted to go out on Small Business Saturday and get some holiday shopping done but instead went to visit my Uncle who had just had his kidney removed. Obviously a visit to a recovering family member was way more important than Christmas gifts. I'm thinking since today is my day off I'll make the rounds down in Norway center and check out the bookstore and yarn store. My mom wants this specific cable needle she can't find anywhere and the one thing my dad will NEVER complain about is a book. Or, even better, I'll check out the second hand bookstore. I have always been frugal (aka cheap) but being BROKE around Christmas time is making me really think about every single gift I'm purchasing. It's a big eye opener. I've also been trolling the internet for good DIY gift tutorials. If anyone has a good link, please post it in the comments. I'm thinking I'm going to try making soap as well to give away with some crocheted washcloths. I'm also thinking that this is going to be the most last minute (and least consumerist) Christmas EVER.

How about you guys? Are you making an effort to buy or make handmade or to buy local? Do you have any good tips? Or any great (and CHEAP) Christmas potluck recipes?

Until next time,

xoxo Stacie

No comments:

Post a Comment