Quote

"It is the sweet, simple things of life which are the real ones after all." -Laura Ingalls Wilder

Tuesday, May 28, 2013

Finally, a litte SUNSHINE!

For the first time in over a week we had a beautiful, sunshine-filled day yesterday! Not that rainy days are all bad, my potatoes shot up like rockets and I got a lot done inside. I canned a batch of rhubarb chutney (from 'Food in Jars'), organized and cleaned out my craft closet, got a lot of crocheting done, and made spice mixes, sprouts, dough, and kombucha!

But SUN, sun is the best of all! Our asparagus bed is all finished and planted. I can't wait to see them sprout up next year. We had a lot of leftover dirt from digging that so my husband threw together 2 more raised beds for me. I hilled the HUGE potatoes AGAIN and made a little trellis for the peas to crawl up. After some visiting with family I was gifted irises, sorrel, a black cherry tomato, and calendula to plant. I've only got the irises left to do today, and some bush beans I started from seed. I planted my cushaw squash as well and hope it does okay climbing up our giant arbor from our wedding. Today it's time to mow which is our most hated chore around here. I can't wait to have the whole yard mulched over and filled with raised beds, because grass is a total waste.

We've also enjoyed having the hummingbirds back for the year! We've also got a bluebird in one of our birdhouses and a whole mess of goldfinches hanging around. We also saw a Pileated Woodpecker fly by...boy was he pretty, and huge! All I know is lots of birds means a healthy yard full of bugs and seeds for them to eat.

How was your Memorial Day weekend? Rainy and yucky, or nice and sunny? Did you get a lot done?

Until next time,
xoxo Stacie

No comments:

Post a Comment